Do you ever feel like you are part of some sort of secret society when it comes to blogging? I honestly think that it’s one of those things that you just don’t really “get” until you do it yourself.
C’mon…you all know what I’m talking about. I’m referring to the people you know outside of the blogosphere who think that there is no way in hell that you can possibly make a career out of it…or even have your blog be considered a job.
You all know how much I love Facebook, (yes, I’m being sarcastic), and the other night, I had someone mock what I’m doing with the whole blog thing. This person basically told me that what I’m doing is “cute and fun”, but that it will never amount to more than that. Yes…I know that she’s just jealous of me, because I’ve pretty much realized that when people try and cut you down, it’s because they are unhappy with their own lives, and it makes them feel better to pretend that what you are doing is not as great as it sounds. For the record, it is. It’s just as awesome as I make it out to be.
I actually want to take a moment and thank this person, because her little jealous hissy fit made me understand even more just how much I love my job.
As bloggers, we know that blogging is the BEST JOB EVER…and here are 10 reasons why:
1. It may take some time, but if you are dedicated and treat your blog as your job, it does eventually pay off. I’m making a nice little salary for myself now from my gig over at Babble, and I never would’ve gotten that job if it weren’t for what I’ve accomplished with The Mommyologist. I’m also getting some pretty cool swag from THIS blog…and you can’t put a price on that. For all bloggers…even bloggers who are just starting out, I can’t stress this to you enough: STICK WITH IT!! Always see your blog as a stepping stone to bigger things. Because it is. It’s a resume in itself.
2. I have the BEST co-workers in the world. I worked in many office settings before deciding to stay home with my son, and I can honestly say that I’ve never had better co-workers than the other amazing bloggers I connect with on a daily basis. And we ARE co-workers, because we support each other, sometimes we even team up on projects, and we share information about our company (blogging) in order to help it succeed.
3. The water cooler gossip totally can’t be beat. But the best part is that we never gossip about each other. Whether it’s talking about celebrities’ twitter accounts, blog conferences, or the latest social media platform, the conversation never gets old.
4. You really can’t beat the office dress code. Most mornings, I work in my pajamas while having coffee, and over this summer, I’ve even worked in my bathing suit.
5. Since pretty much everything we do is online, we never have to make copies, send faxes, etc. Just think about how many trees we save! Who knew that blogging could be so green, right?
6. Social media is where it’s at, people. And as bloggers, we are one step ahead of the game, because our jobs revolve around it. Even if your blog is just a hobby, you are gaining valuable skills that will be a complete and total necessity in the next few years, and you’re having fun doing it. (See how much this job rocks)?
7. I’m sure there are a few exceptions, but for the most part, there are no cubicles involved in blogging. And our office chairs are way comfier…and some days even come in the form of a couch.
8. The coffee at my house is way cheaper than Starbucks. I’m saving money by not having to stop there on my way to work.
9. As a blogger, never forget how many people you help on a daily basis with the content you provide. By sharing our challenges, struggles, and achievements with others, we have the ability to connect with other people going through the same things. Sometimes just hearing someone else’s story is enough to make any obstacle seem a whole lot easier to conquer. And to any of you who think that your blog is small and hasn’t reached or touched anyone, you are wrong. You never know who is reading your blog, and you never know whose life you made a little bit easier with your posts.
10. They say that if you are doing something you love, you will never work a day in your life. And that is how I feel about blogging. I love every single second of it and cannot even believe how much it has enriched my life since I started doing it last October. It hasn’t even been a year, and I’ve done things I never would’ve dreamed I’d get to take part in. And I just can’t wait to see where this journey takes me next. Thank you to all of you who make blogging the BEST job in the world!
I LOVE MY JOB!!!