I Talked To Candace Cameron Bure, And She Even Shared Her Taco Recipe With Me!

A couple of weeks ago, I had the privilege and pleasure of doing a phone interview with none other than D.J. Tanner herself, Candace Cameron Bure!  I used to watch Full House every single Friday night as a kid, and I always idolized Candace and wanted to be like her. And what’s weird is that people actually told me that I looked like her…and sometimes they still do. What do you think…is there a slight resemblance other than the fact that I’m not a celebrity?

The Mommyologist

The Mommyologist

Candace Cameron Bure

Candace Cameron Bure

I don’t know…I can sorta see it? I’d love to go back in time and tell my 12-year old self that 21 years later I’d get the chance to actually speak to D.J. Tanner. This may sound nuts, but I feel like I achieved some sort of childhood dream by getting to connect with her for 10 minutes. I did my best to sound as normal and collected as possible on the phone, but let’s be honest…I was totally starstruck! Full House forever baby!

Anyway, I got the chance to talk to Candace about how great the slow cooker is for busy moms. She’s educating people all about the benefits of the crock pot in honor of National Eat Together Week.

When I talked to her I felt like I was talking to one of my friends! I asked her about her three kids, Natasha, Lev, and Maks…and I asked her how she gets them all to sit around the dinner table…because that seems to be a huge challenge in my household.

She told me that mealtimes have gotten easier since her kids are now 12, 10, and 8, but the fact that she gets them involved in helping her cook is a plus as well. She also really values dinner time as family time, and by using the crock pot, she can spend more time connecting with her family than prepping meals in the kitchen. Sometimes she even sets the slow cooker the night before, and when she wakes up in the morning, dinner is done!  All she has to do is reheat it when she gets home.

If you’d like to hear my entire interview, you can click the following link. It will take you to one other page, click it again, and it will play. Just ignore the awkward pause in the middle where I totally lost my train of thought!

mommyologist_32K

You can hear more about why Candace loves her crock pot by viewing the video below…and I’ve also included her recipe for her famous pork carnitas tacos after the video. Enjoy!

Candace’s Carnitas Tacos

2 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast (Boston butt), trimmed

1 carrot, diced

1/2 onion, diced

1/4 cup dry red wine or chicken broth

2 tablespoons chili powder

4 cups thinly shredded red cabbage

3 tablespoons mayonnaise

Salt and pepper

12 7- to 8-inch corn tortillas, warmed

1 avocado, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced

Combine carrot, onion and wine in slow cooker.

Sprinkle roast on all sides with chili powder, rubbing it into meat. Season on all sides with salt and add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until roast is falling-apart tender, about 6 hours.

Use tongs or a slotted spoon to transfer meat to a large bowl. Use two forks to shred meat into bite-sized pieces. Moisten/season with cooking juices to taste. Cover to keep warm and set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine cabbage and mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Arrange 2 tortillas on each serving plate. Fill tortillas with pork, cabbage mixture, and avocado and serve. (Alternately, arrange pork, cabbage mixture and avocado on a platter and let guests make their own tacos.)

Cooking tip: For even more flavorful carnitas, brown roast on all sides in a lightly oiled skillet before sprinkling with chili powder.

Yield: 6 servings

Prep time: 10 minutes

Cook time: About 6 hours

Nutritional Information per Serving:

Calories:  590           Fat:  26g         Saturated Fat:  6g

Cholesterol:  95mg Sodium: 940mg Carbohydrates: 47g

Protein: 36g         Fiber: 7g

Comments

Oh, I so loved her in Full House. And again now in Make It or Break It(yes, I watch, don’t judge).

I can see the resemblence.

I love this, esp. since I just bought a slow cooker! And I totally see a resemblance. And I’m completely jealous, because I wanted to be her way back when :)

amotherworld says:

Yes I see a slight resemblance!

Jen Gacek says:

How cool is that! I can see the resemblance! You both have that “baby” face that never looks old!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe. I’m always looking for new family recipes, especially ones that are so easy!

purseblogger says:

Oh I LOVE her! And I love the crock pot! Can’t wait to try this recipe. I’m still in shock her kids are the exact same ages as mine. Woa!

ModernMom says:

What a great experience! I loved Full House (and now my kids watch it on DVD)

Thought I would else you let you know I am your 667th follower:) I look forward to reading lots more from you!

How great!! I loved Full House too. Are you posting your interview somewhere? And yeah – you totally do look like her!

That was awesome. I love Candace!! I see how you look a bit like her. Awesome!!

That One Mom says:

How neat! That is kind of a huge deal, being of the Full House generation and all!

Tracie says:

I would tell you that there is a big resemblance between you and Candace, but I’m too jealous to type that. ;-)

Full House Forever!!

Seriously the tacos look very yummy.

I’m still so jealous that you got to talk to her!!

Yes, there is a slight resemblance! When I was younger, I actually did look like her when she was going through her chubby face stage. I think that we are around the same age too. I love her! I would’ve been totally starstruck too! I was obsessed with Full House and mainly Candace! I am going to have to try out that recipe. My hubs loves carnitas!

Oh my goodness! There is a resemblance between the both of you! :) Tacos look yummy thanks for sharing. Gonna ignore the fact that you talked to her cause…well…I’m jealous of that fact. LOL.

erinsgobragh says:

I think I’ve seen every episode of Full House at least 5 or 6 times. DJ was my fave character! :D Wish I had a big sis like her!

Stacy says:

I wanted to be like her too! I loved that show! I can’t wait to try the recipe, I’m always looking for new recipes!

Theresa says:

I used to watch that show every week growing up and I would never miss an episode. I just love her too! And you do look like her :)

I so watched every episode of Full House! Those tacos sound delish!

Kristy says:

Yay for crockpots! Love them. Perfect for fall too.

Joy says:

I used to watch every episode of Full House. I love my slow cooker and those tacos look yummy.

Tricia says:

DUDE!!!!!!! I watch “Full House” reruns every morning before every gets up and I’m drinking my tea. And by the way, I totally see the resemblance between you and Candace. She seems like a really cool mom, like one I’d love to dish over a cup of Starbucks with, right? Anyway, you are SO FREAKIN’ LUCKY!! Cars, DJ Tanner…you’re a superstar, mama.

Tricia says:

I meant “before everyone gets up”…but I was way too excited about you totally b.s.’ing over the phone with Candace.

I also loved Full House. While in San Fran I made sure to stop by the row of houses in the opening and get a picture of me there.

I would like to use my crock pot more. But need some good recipes.

Truth be told, she looks like a less pretty version of you. I’m not into idle flattery.

I love the crock pot! It definitely makes meal time that much easier..my downfall is not being prepared with ingredients..but I’m working on it! I would’ve been excited to talk to her too! I am a huge full house fan! :)

Crystal Lien says:

Yes, I love her too- she was soo cool. But I also love her brother in “Growing Pains”- he was such a hottie! Anyway, I love my crockpot-love, love, love it. I have multiple crockpot recipes- my family loves them. We sit down for a family supper every night. It’s how we reconnect after our busy day. I think I’m kind of the suppertime natzi???!!! It’s not a suggestion….it’s an order.

Great post-oh and thanx for the recipe….totally stealing it, might even pass it off as my own :)

shortmama says:

I loved that show and loved her! What a lucky gal you are!

Erin says:

I loved Full House too! So cool you got to interview her—will have to wait & watch later, but thanks for sharing! And I think the resemblance is uncanny. Seriously!
    ;-)