Pinterest: The New Skinny Jeans

I have a huge confession to make this Monday morning.

Don’t hate me…but I’m not on Pinterest. (Gasp)!

But that’s not the worst part. The part that might make you kind of despise me a little bit is not the fact that I’m not on there. It’s the fact that I don’t give a shit that I’m not on Pinterest. Cuz I’m just not buying into the whole deal.

Between having a full-time job, trying to post on my own blog a couple times a week, Twitter, Facebook, other social media shit, and then that little thing called spending time with my family instead of making love to my laptop, I really just don’t have any use for something else in my life that sucks my time and energy.

But there must be something incredibly appealing and satisfying about Pinterest, because it’s all I freakin’ hear people talk about anymore. It’s almost like it’s some kind of secret club that I really don’t want to be a part of, but almost feel that I have to because “everybody’s doing it.” I kind of wonder if Pinterest is the new skinny jeans. I HATED skinny jeans when they first came out, but after watching people strut their stuff in them for a year or so, I finally broke down and bought a pair. And now I can’t quit ‘em.

That being said, I’m just not ready to cave quite yet and give into the peer pressure of all the “Pin-hards” out there. Besides, I think I’d kind of suck at it. I mean, I can’t even organize my own refrigerator let alone put things in some sort of visually pleasing sequence online.

My kid, on the other hand, would be awesome at that shit.

Check out what he did to the stairs in our house yesterday:

I posted this photo to Facebook, and a friend of mine told me I should put it on Pinterest. But after seeing how my 5-year old grouped all of his Angry Birds into colors and species, I’m thinking he’d be a way better pinner than me. I’d totally suck at it. I just know it.

Please tell me I’m not the only person out there who refuses to become a slave to this little obsession called Pinterest. And please tell me that even though I’m not a pinner, that I can still be considered one of the cool chicks.

(I’m hearing crickets already).

Comments

Angel says:

while I am on Pinterest, I am not a pin nut. I don’t have a style thing, I just pin what I like period.

Abby says:

Ha! This sums up my feelings about Pinterest exactly! And I was the exact same way with skinny jeans. I have to adopt a trend in my own sweet time. LOVE the Angry Birds display!

I am on Pinterest, but I totally suck at it. I always forget it’s there, so I rarely go over to look for stuff. Plus, I’m the most un-creative person on the planet, so all my boards end up being really bare and boring. I have had some people repin my stuff, though, so I guess maybe some like that bare and boring style of mine. ;)

jessica says:

You’re the only one….but you have your dream job so who cares!

Leiah says:

I don’t pin as much as I did when I started but I have found some excellent recipes on there that I’ve tried, some of them more than once, and I made most of my Christmas gifts from ideas I found on there. The whole clothes things gets me though. I mean, how many people on the Pinterest have actually gone out and purchased the clothing items they’ve pinned? Crazy…

pinterest was way cooler before everyone started doing it…now people pin their own posts and stuff, and that’s annoying…

Kimberly says:

I have pinterest, I like pinterest, but I don’t think its as big a deal as people make it. I once didn’t check it for a whole month, because life is more important!! I get great ideas from pinterest, then I shut down the computer and I DO THEM. I don’t feel like a lot of the “pinners” get around to that part, which is sad to me.

And being cool has always been about doing your own thing, so embrace your non-pinning! Love it! :)

Brooke says:

You are my new favorite person because I, too, do not see what all the Pinterest hoopla is about.

Malia says:

I didn’t get the whole Pinterest thing until my sister started planning her wedding. Now I see a benefit. She pins wedding stuff she likes, and I don’t have to be on the receiving end of streams of emails with photos of some random bridesmaid dresses or wedding favors she might like. Everyone wins! I still don’t have a Pinterest account, though. I just look at her stuff periodically.

Mary Close says:

Ok, I admit it, I’m on Pinterest. ~AND~ I’m totally addicted. But I promise not to judge you, you know I love you just the way you are ;)

Brianne says:

Do you “bookmark”? I used to have soooooo many things bookmarked and had folder upon folder of recipes, photography inspiration, heart warming stories, DIY tutorials, etc. I was thankful Pinterest came along, it emptied up a crap load of space form deleting tons of “inspiration” folders and the majority of my bookmarks. Instead of bookmarking, I pin. So it doesn’t take anymore of my time than it did before. I have the app on my phone and if I have a few minutes to spare I will browse and pin from there, and sometimes I will browse pins during free time or if I’m looking for a recipe I will search pins, but it doesn’t take up anymore of my time than before I was “pinning”.

I don’t think people really understand what Pinterest is…and therefore see it as a bad thing. It’s actually a pet peeve of mine when someone says they got something from pinterest. All pinterest is, is a collection of pins to other sites. And it’s made my life a lot easier! ^_^

ModaMama says:

I know what you mean. I have pinterest because I like to bookmark some of my fav hair tutorials or photography inspiration, but since I use it just for me it’s one big ol’ mess and I couldn’t care less. Pinterest is one of those things I totally forget about until I need to know how to do my hair for an event, or until someone reminds me “how awesome it is”

Aw… you can’t uncool yourself that easily so relax. :)

I find Pinterest great fun but you’re right… it can be a time-suck trap if you’re vulnerable to that kind of thing, so don’t let yourself feel pressured. But I’ve just gotta say… that pic of your sons ‘work’ on the stairs…. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO pinworthy!!! :)

I have never been on Pinterest. I’m a bit frightened of new things! It took me a long time to be okay with blogging and twitter so you may find me pinning in about 5 years. when everyone else has moved on…

Capability says:

Okay, I am on Pinterest, like the visual check-in and ideas and go do something. It is great when you are stalled mid-project or need a bit of inspiration. No judgment – everyone likes different things.

Sonya M says:

LMAO – Great job with the stuffed animals:) So I am on there…just for my business, like you I have time for nothing. I have a few boards with about 3 pins on them – LOL. But I tell you this. I pinned a few things from my etsy shop, on my boards and BOOM. I got all of these repinned emails and thought WOW this is good exposure. But I am too freaking busy. So I am on there, but not really on there. Maybe when the kids are in college I will have time…of course they are only 4 and 6. First I must do laundry.

Mindy says:

Ummm….. I’m not even sure what pinterest is! The end.

I’m on Pinterest. It appeals to the OCD/Project Manager in me. Of course pretty soon I’ll have too many projects to manage and subsections that only I’ll know about. I adore it. It helped me put together my thoughts on my new tattoo and it actually sparked my creative side which apparently is one of the things I lost when I popped out the kid.

And, does it really need to be said? OF COURSE you are still one of the cool chicks! You’ll come on over to the dark side on your own time. We have pictures of cookies there, don’t you know? ;-)

(and PS: I’m totally pinning this to my blogs I <3 board ;-) )

Tere says:

I’m on Pinterest, but it’s not anything major. I guess I go on to check out some of the cool funnies and the recipes. Everyone seems to find something awesome there.

Otherwise, it is just one more app I need to remember by user name and password for!!

Anna says:

pinterest is so worthy of taking the place of other time-suckers. i’d ditch tweeting for pinning in a pinterest moment!

Bree says:

Too funny. I agree. I can barely manage what’s already on my plate, much less adding new crafts to my To Do list. It is all the rage now and I am sure in a year we will both be hooked! ;)

Alissa says:

Glad to hear that I’m not the lone hold out on Pinterest. I just can’t handle one more piece of social media to my life.

Pinterest is a vampire. I’m on it and get all wrapped up in it from time to time. Then I think I can do some of those things. Then I try. Then? Total failure. That homemade laundry detergent they are all raving about. Not really so easy as 1-2-3. I’ve taken to only looking at the shoes and fantasizing I’ll but some. You are wise to stay off of it.

I totally understand your Pinterest resistance – I was skeptical, but I now find that I use it more than other social media crap (okay, except my blog) and that it helps me more than hurts me – new recipes, blogging tips, organization galore.

But you’re right – if you DO end up getting an account, your 5 year old should totally help because his pinning skills rock the shit!

Lucy says:

I checked it out, I am not a person that bookmarks a lot or does a lot of crafts or accumulates a lot of stuff. Sure It is fun to look at but I wouldn’t even come close to buying or making 3/4 of the CRAP I oogle over. I understand the draw except the fact that I also read a ton of blog posts about how people need or want to cutback and de-clutter. Or they need to learn the difference between wanting and needing and item or food AND yet I think Pinterest feeds into Americans love for materialism and over eating, goodness the recipes on Pinterest, if Americans just ate simply and when they were hungry they would be amazed at how much lighter and healthier they would be. Anyway, they can browse for hours and hours just gazing at all their WANTS!! Here is a thought, get up and moving, read a book or skip the craft that you certainly don’t need around the house, I mean it is VALENTINE’S day, really, how much decorating should you do? When I was kid we put little stickers on the windows and life was good! Oh, well. Sorry for doing a blog post in your comment section LOL

I’m on there, but only to get ideas and remember where I saw certain things. I’m notorious for saying, “I saw this thing once, but I have no idea where, and it would be perfect for this.” So, I use it as my own little filing system of things I want to remember.

Love what your son did on the stairs though…I think he and my son would get along famously!

Missy Olive says:

What’s pinterest?

I was the same way about skinny jeans. Now, I love them.

I am on pinterest, but I don’t pin like crazy. It’s really convenient to just hit that “pin it” button when I’m on a page that I want to come back to later.

Whoa–sorry I’m late. I was at the AWESOME party over on Pinterest all day. Whew! So much fun over there, you guys have no idea what you’re missing….

(Yeah…I don’t get it either. I go there for a minute and get a headache.)

Ha! Perfect post! In fact, I know that I might be rebranding soon with a new site, and someone mentioned pintrest to help me with looking at different concepts. I feel so badly…I’m on there and tons of people are following me. I have nothing on my board! I might start dabbling in it just to get some design perspective, but I already feel overwhelmed, and like you said, I kinda feel as if I won’t be good at it.

The angry birds display is just too cute :-)
    I haven’t even had the time to check out Pinrest, though it is piquing my interest.

Sorry, I meant Pinterest :-)

Sarahviz says:

We truly are Blog Sisters – I haven’t drank the Pinterest kool-aid yet either! I know it would be a total TIME SUCK…and I can’t spare (ie: WASTE) any more time online than I already do!

Penelope says:

There is something fun about it but the amount of noise you get when you look at a packed board is too overwhelming. I agree with someone above about recipes. I’ve always wanted a cool place to post pics of things I like to eat, but it’s just a fancy bookmark tool. The surge in people joining over the past couple of months has been ala G+ or Twitter back in the day. Granted it’s happened quicker this time, but Twitter didn’t have Facebook coverage to assist it back then so to begin with it was just tech heads and early adopters. G+ didn’t get the FB advantage when it went live because it was a terrible product launch and a competitior for FB so people just talked about it on FB and asked why would they go there. Most people I know who are on pinterest have only posted a single image so far and just don’t get the hype. It will be interesting how they adapt the site over the next 6 months. I think that they have to give other “dashboards” for users to view their posts so that the images don’t become too overwhelming, and like you said, it will be interesting to see who takes the features and functionality to the next level.

Caryn Effron says:

Haha I /we are just getting started on pintrest now that I know how to tweet something new to learn. At 50 it is harder and harder to learn new tricks but always willing to try!