Taking Time to Unplug Offline Doesn’t Make You a Slacker

OMG you guys…where the hell have the last six/seven weeks gone? Everything has been kind of a blur since I became a full-time working woman again at the very end of January — and yes, I’m well aware that I’ve neglected the shit out of this blog. I’m not going to offer any lame excuses, because I’m a firm believer in the idea that bloggers shouldn’t have to apologize for living their lives and having an existence offline (even though much of my offline existence is online too).

Instead of apologizing and begging you all to still love me even though I’m not around as much, let me just say that I’m happier than I’ve been in a LONG time, and I am still in total shock and awe that I was offered such an amazing opportunity. I know without a doubt that I’m exactly where I’m supposed to be at this point in my life — and that’s something I’ve wanted to be able to say for quite some time now.

In case you were wondering, The Mommyologist is not going away or anything like that. I still plan on blogging — when I have something to say, when I have extra time, and when I damn well feel like it. Because that’s a luxury that we have as bloggers — we can’t do what we want, WHEN we want on our own blogs without judgement from others, right?

And if for some reason a week or so goes by and you haven’t heard from me, it’s probably because at the end of the work day after little dude goes to bed, I’ve decided to unplug and soak in a nice, hot bath with a glass of wine and my thoughts. Because every gal knows that there’s nothing quite like a little tub time at the end of the day.

Seriously — how amazing is that bathroom? Wouldn’t you do the same thing as me and opt out of sitting on the couch with your laptop some nights to be able to spend a little kid-free quiet time in there?

Yeah — me too. (And no — that’s not my bathroom). Duh.

This is MY sanctuary:

What the hell kinda shit is that? Ok — so now you obviously know that I was lying about spending any sort of relaxing time in there at night with a glass of wine instead of blogging. I am still having wine most nights, but not in that tub. We’ve lived in this house for five damn years and I think I’ve been in that tub twice. Cuz I got fired from my own bathroom a long time ago.

But even though I may not get any worthwhile tub time to really unplug — working full-time has taught me that it’s ok to put down the laptop at night and just chill out on the couch and relax. And I figure that my true online friends will totally understand that there’s a time and a place for everything, and sometimes you have to shift things around and re-prioritize.

And for the first time in a long time, I feel like I finally have things in the right order. And that feels good.

And for any of you who have struggled with whether it’s ok to take time for yourself and unplug a bit and do what you feel like doing when you feel like doing it, the answer is yes, it’s ok. You are not a slacker for putting your personal needs first. The end.

Image via ChalonHandmade/Flickr

Comments

Love this!

And so happy for you that you are loving your job! xo

I was sort of going to hate you if that first bathroom was yours, though. ;)

Thank you!! I’ve had to shift things around a bit as far as priorities go, but it has definitely been worth it. That first bathroom is something else, isn’t it? Having my very own bathroom is still one of my biggest dreams in life. LOL.

Kristen says:

I love this too. I wish I wouldn’t feel like I neglected my blog if I would unplug for a few weeks… but I’m pretty sure I would lose every single reader I have. Good for you for not worrying about it – and enjoying all aspects of your life!

Yeah, I’m sure I’ve lost plenty of readers…but I’m not letting it get to me. I’m finally on the right track career wise, so the gains outweigh the losses!

Pam says:

That’s what my bathroom looks like too (the second one, not the first one)! Glad you are enjoying your new job!

mindy says:

the dancing girls need to go to wherever that tub is!!

Mary Close says:

I was going to REALLY hate you if that first bathroom was yours ;) So happy you’re happy! xoxo

Good for you! It’s great to hear you’re so happy. I need to take that advice – if I just don’t feel like posting or really don’t have anything to post about, then DON’T. I think I can do that. :)

Love it! So glad you are loving your new gig. It’s perfect for you! And now I want to repainting my bathroom, and buy a new tub.

JulieK says:

Amen. I need to take this lesson to heart. Too much time online lately and it’s annoying me… luckily the warm weather is calling me so I know I will be unplugging more often now!

Hooray! I’m so happy that you are so happy haha

Angel says:

Ahh your bathroom looks a lot like mine. Although my boys are much older my great nieces and nephews think my garden tub is their personal pool. I am glad you are doing something you love and I completely agree that we need to unplug sometimes…

My son took over that tub as soon as we moved in 5-years ago. It’s all good though…soon I’ll be wishing for the day when he was little enough to go in there!

I need to balance my online presence, too. Enjoy a good soak, you deserve it :)

Capability says:

Great post! Love that you are enjoying your new gig and super glad that no one that I know even in the virtual world has that perfect bathroom!
    You are doing it right – Congrats!

Thank you! It isn’t always easy finding a good balance, but I do feel like I’m on the right track now.

Does this mean no more Sexy Fridays:(

Nope! Will still be doing them when I can…just not going to beat myself up if I don’t get to them every week. My career has to come first now, but I’m ok with that.

MommaKiss says:

So glad you are where you feel SO Happy!!

Now. Skuze me while I show that tub picture to my husband.

I have always been fascinated with bathroom, and I so love the first one! I can stay there forever. Lol. I think it’s normal to have the same one as yours if you have kids.