Spruce Point Inn in Boothbay Harbor, Maine Is a Small Piece of Heaven on Earth

Last week, my husband and I spent the most wonderful week we’ve ever had with our little dude at the Spruce Point Inn in Boothbay Harbor, Maine — and now I simply refuse to shut up about how amazing this resort is. It’s seriously the best kept secret on the East Coast — and in fact it’s such a gem that I almost hesitated to write a post about it because I don’t want to take the chance of people finding out my secret and crowding the place. But I couldn’t stay quiet about this little piece of paradise, because it’s one of those places you think only exists in movies or novels. (It’s very real, I assure you.)

Go ahead and drool a little bit if you want to. I did. More than once. It’s THAT gorgeous. Even though the pictures don’t really do the place justice.

I’m really, really good at finding perfect vacation spots, and I chose the Spruce Point Inn for our annual trip after doing a lot of research about the best family resorts in Maine. Up until this year, we’ve rented a cottage in Chatham, Cape Cod, and as gorgeous as it is there, we wanted something a bit different this time around, and we also wanted to go to a resort so we wouldn’t have to cook and we wanted to have our beds made each day. (And the fresh towels were a total plus too.)

And what really drew me to SPI is that we were still able to rent a cozy cabin to have a little privacy and space of our own, but we still had the advantage of all the amenities offered by the resort.

This was our sweet little one-bedroom home for the week, called “Little Spruce.”

(Yes, I had more than my fair share of cocktails on that porch each night. It was pure heaven.)

Little Spruce was more than enough space for my little family of three, and what I really loved about it was that there was a king sized bed and also a twin in the bedroom, so our little guy could be right there with us, but we could still shut the bedroom door at night so he’d sleep instead of being kept up by the TV (or my tipsy self out on the porch.)

But when we weren’t enjoying our adorable cabin, we were taking advantage of all of the other wonderful activities SPI had to offer. And by far, one of our favorite amenities was having a complimentary launch available to take us into town and to other areas around the harbor. Because when you’re in a town like Boothbay Harbor, the best place to be is out on the water. And the first time we set foot on SPI’s boat and were greeted by Captain Shawn, we knew we’d found our new favorite vacation spot. You see, the staff at SPI are incredible, and truly go out of their way to make sure your vacation experience is nothing but the best.

Just take a look at my little guy’s face as Captain Shawn took us out to Burnt Island, where he dropped us off to hunt for sea glass for a few hours. (Yes, there’s TONS of sea glass out there. We brought home like five bags of it.)

Is that the look of pure contentment on his face or what? And don’t even get me started on how picturesque and perfect Burnt Island is. Again, the photos just don’t do justice as to how breathtaking this place is. We even saw an osprey perched on its nest and watched it fly overhead numerous times while we were on the island. Just amazing.

And when we weren’t cruising around the harbor, we could be found kayaking, hiking, fishing right off the SPI dock, and yes — even swimming in the harbor. (No, it wasn’t THAT cold. Once you got in, it was actually very refreshing and rejuvenating.)

But you know what I really loved most about our time in Boothbay last week? The fact that we were actually doing things as a family instead of sitting on a beach and taking turns walking up and down the shore and building sandcastles with our son. I felt like we were introducing him to new experiences and taking him on adventures that he’ll never forget.

Of course, I’d be lying if I said the hubster and I didn’t squeeze in a little bit of downtime over the course of the week. SPI also offers a kids’ camp and a kids’ night out — so we took advantage of that a couple of times. I’d forgotten just how nice it is to sit in a lounge chair for a couple hours and drink wine read a book.

And I absolutely cannot wait to go back to SPI again to discover all sorts of new nooks and crannies that we missed on our trip to Maine this time. As my husband said many, many times last week — we only scratched the surface as far as how much there is to do on the mid-coast of Maine.

Oh yeah, one more thing — this is how pretty much every night was spent when it came time to fuel up for the next day — before heading back to SPI for S’mores most nights. (Yes, they even have a S’mores station.)

Take me back, please.

SPI is my new definition of heaven.

(One more quick note — I did myself a favor and left the laptop at home this trip. It was pure bliss not being tied to it, and it’s never coming on vacation with me again. EVER. But yes, SPI does have free wi-fi. I said I left the laptop at home, not that I was dead.)

Comments

Looks like a gorgeous place!

Isn’t it so nice to have kids who are getting older so we can actually enjoy vacations now?

So glad that you left the laptop at home. Feels so good, doesn’t it???

It was wonderful! And oddly enough, I didn’t even miss the laptop. It’s so healthy to unplug once in a while. We didn’t even turn on the TV once the whole week!

Joyce says:

Beautiful pics! I bet the weather was perfect up that way also!

We really did luck out…weather was just gorgeous! Such a wonderful family vacation…hated to see it end.

Your little guy is SO cute! What a great report on Spruce Point Inn — you painted such a real picture of your family having a great time and as you said, having new experiences to share.

Cheryl says:

We’ve been to Spruce Point three summers in a row (we don’t live terribly far away). It is most definitely a special place. My six kids (ages 3 to 16) love the indepedence they have there. The two youngest stay close to my husband and me, but the others are always traipsing about together: to one of the swimming pools, or the game room, or the hotel lobby for a free cup of coffee or tea. The sunsets are always spectacular, and I come home with loads of great photos.

We are really hoping to take our son there for years to come. It really is a hidden gem, and everything a vacation should be!

Gayle says:

I live in the area and well, you described the place to a T. Love your writing! And the area is great for children if you go out and explore. Having spent summers on the water, you gain experiences that you keep in your heart for life!

Cheers! :-)

Thank you! We can’t wait to see more of the area next year. We really feel like there is so much more to explore!

z3mom says:

We’re going up next week! SPI has been part of our annual family trip to Maine for 6 years. They’re dog-friendly too. We’ve got a sail booked with Capt. Nate for a trip around the islands. And we’ll definitely be doing our part to support the local lobstermen (hint: Shaw’s in New Harbor is THE place)

Enjoy! We’re hoping to make it an annual trip too. Thanks for the tip on Shaw’s…we’ll hit that next time for sure!

z3mom says:

If you venture further up the coast (towards Bar Harbor), be sure and stop at Young’s in Belfast. True working lobster dock and you can order steamed mussels that come from a farm 5 miles away (doesn’t get much fresher or local!). Closer to Boothbay Harbor and on the way back up to Highway 1 is Edgecomb Pottery (I’m sure you saw it on the side of the road). This is not your local pottery stand. The pieces produced here are extraordinary in their beauty. We bring home at least one new piece every year and I drink coffee every morning from one of their hand-thrown, uniquely-glazed mugs (with a wide bottom so it doesn’t tip over).

I’ll be there in 4 days!!

Thanks so much for the tips! We will have to venture further up north next time for sure. And I know exactly where Edgecomb Pottery is. We almost stopped in…and now I wish we would have! Next year for sure.

Tania says:

I completely agree about SPI!!! It really is a perfect place to vacation and you certainly struggle between singing it’s praises (it IS the best place to stay along coastal Maine, without a doubt!), and being hush-hush about it because you want it to be your own secret get-away…Great pics and your little guy is a cutie!

Thank you! I can’t believe I’d never heard of SPI before finding it this year, but I guess that’s part of what makes it so special. I can’t wait to go back!

Jim Reeves says:

Boothbay Country Club is pleased to partner with The Spruce Point Inn for the very reasons that you talked about….It is a little piece of heaven in one of the most magnificent & scenic rugged coastal regions in the country! Boothbay Harbor Region has so much to offer both on the water & off. SPI has so much to offer visitors to our Maine’s magnificent midcoast. The great thing about visiting Boothbay Harbor for the first time is knowing that it won’t be the last!

It definitely won’t be our last trip! Boothbay is our new favorite spot…it’s so beautiful and we never have to worry about running out of things to do! Just can’t wait to return!

Susan Marie says:

I just found your blog! (And I will be following you on twitter : ) I have been wanting to go to Boothbay Harbor for a while now. Maybe one year we will make it up there with the kiddos!

As a Maine mom, I can tell you that you picked one of the best spots in Maine to vacation. Boothbay Harbor has always been an escape for me – even if only in my “backyard”. Glad you enjoyed the trip! :)

Crystal

1. [...] I pretty much ate and drank whatever I damn well pleased, and I didn’t work out, minus a kayak trip across Boothbay Harbor that left my arms feeling like jello. And you know what? I gained a good 10 pounds…which [...]