Ahh…vacation. It’s something that I don’t take nearly often enough. But I took one last week. And if a vacation by itself wasn’t sweet enough…then a kid-free vacation made this one even more incredible.
Mama needed a break real bad.
The hubster and I took a little trip to Aspen/Snowmass, CO with three other couples…and we totally rocked out. It was awesome, and yes, you should be jealous. And here’s why:
“Top Ten Things I Did on my Kid-Free Vacation”
1. I indulged in the simple pleasure of taking a shit in peace every day without simultaneously having to recite a Scooby Doo story.
2. I read two books. Like from cover to cover. Without interruption. It kicked ass.
3. I drank (several) margaritas in the middle of the day and noshed on tequila soaked blueberries. And I sort of moaned while I ate them and didn’t worry about anyone looking at me weird. (They were all into the blueberries too).
4. I went to the best spa that I’ve ever visited in my entire life at the Viceroy Snowmass, and I locked up my Iphone in the locker and didn’t even THINK about my blog while sipping champagne in the relaxation room. That is, until my massage therapist asked me what I did and I told her I was a blogger and she looked at me and said, “Are you The Mommyologist?” It was one of the top five coolest moments of my life. And I’m pretty sure that nothing like it will ever happen again.
FYI…if you ever have the pleasure of hitting the Viceroy…book an appointment with Sara. BEST. MASSAGE. EVER. (And I’m not just saying that because Sara made me feel cool).
5. In the locker room at the spa at the Viceroy, I got into the hot plunge pool naked. The end.
6. Back to the margaritas…I sat outside in front of a fire pit in the snow and drank those margaritas surrounded by good friends and plenty of laughs. And not once did I worry about rushing home to pay the babysitter thanks to the fact that my wonderful mother kept my son back at home so that I could get my drink on in Colorado. It was sheer bliss. And I’m praying that we get invited back on a trip with these people sometime because they are all freakin’ A-plus. I might even start stalking them.
7. I vowed to sleep in each and every single day, but for whatever reason the hubster and I were always the first ones up. Somehow not having to cater to incessant demands for service from an almost-five-year-old rested me up enough that I didn’t need the extra sleep.
8. I went on national television with the hubster when we got back to NYC, and it was tons of fun. But I also signed some damn waiver saying I wouldn’t blog about the experience, so there goes any hope of me trying to pimp myself out. But it didn’t say anything about tweeting, so stay tuned for tidbits there if the curiosity is killing you.
9. I spent Valentine’s Day in the city with the hubster at our favorite restaurant…Del Frisco’s. I had three martinis (big surprise). I had a fat steak. I had scrumptious potatoes. And I took a HUGE slice of lemon cake to go. I’m salivating now just thinking about that meal.
10. I recharged. I re-energized. And I reconnected with myself by not being plugged into a computer or mobile device 24/7. But now I’m back, and the snow is finally melting, and I’m ready to rock and roll with work until the next kid-free vacation. That is, if I ever catch up on everything I missed while I was living it up in Aspen.
*Viceroy photos courtesy of Viceroy Snowmass website